Monday, December 8, 2008

Busy Moms and Dads- Cross the Dreaded Grocery Store Trip off the List!

Before kids, I used to love to grocery shop. I liked meandering the aisles, checking out the produce, planning menus in front of the seafood case or the butcher counter. Even standing in line at the deli was fun because I could think up creative combinations of all the various choices and got ideas for salads. Now, with 2 young rambunctious boys, grocery shopping is anathema to me. Not only do I not have the time, the whole trip is a battle from arrival to check out. “Why can’t we get the car cart Mommy?” “Oh Please can we get this fill-in-the-blank no-nutrition product with Spiderman, Dora, Star Wars whatever printed on the package.” And so on and so on.

In my search to eliminate this dreaded task, I tried Peapod- which is a great but required more planning than I could handle. I also didn’t like all the packaging required to keep my groceries in tip-top shape. Then along came Harris Teeter- Express Lane! Harris Teeter you are my hero! Finally, a store that understands my needs!

This terrific service is well worth the $4.95 it costs to use. Like Peapod, you order online but instead of scheduling a delivery, you schedule a pick-up window. You can order from the bakery, deli and all the departments including wine- (another feature I love) There is also a space to type notes in to your personal shopper. For instance, we like to buy our bananas ripe for making smoothies so I type that in. My husband is very picky about his coffee and likes it ground a certain way so I type that in. You pay online and off you go about your business until you are ready to pick up your order. Then you just pull up to the store during your scheduled window and your personal shopper brings the groceries right out to your car. The kids stay buckled up and off we head home with just what we need and none of the hassles and none of the impulse buys that are occasionally necessary to avoid a full scale meltdown. Thank you Harris Teeter!

Here is a link to their website: http://www.harristeeter.com/
Click on Express Lane and choose your store. The Foxchase location is the most convenient for me. Happy Shopping!

No comments: