Friday, August 15, 2008

A Real Neighborhood Spot that's Worth the Visit

Okay, so maybe I’m a little biased, but in my humble opinion, Taqueria Poblano on Mount Vernon Ave has the absolute best guacamole on the planet -bar none. I’m biased because my husband works at the Taqueria. However, I held this opinion before he joined the team there so maybe I’m not so biased after all. There’s just something wonderful about the simplicity of fresh quality ingredients in the right proportions. How can something so simple be so good? And yet it is. As are many other items on the “Taq’s” menu.

They make killer margaritas with fresh squeezed lime juice- the best refreshment on a hot summer day in Del Ray. (Non-imbibers can have the Lime Cooler version- also delicious) The Chicken Mole Verde used to be an occasional special but was requested so frequently they finally added it to the regular menu and it remains popular. As one would expect they also serve burritos and tacos. The shrimp taco is my favorite with nicely grilled shrimp and tangy onion escabeche.

I’m usually just popping in for a quick bite between appointments so I almost always sit at the bar but their patio, shaded by a big awning is a great place to enjoy a bite and people-watch. The only problem is the place is tiny. I mean tiny as in scoot in your chair so you don’t get bumped when the table next to you is being seated. They opened another location in Arlington a few years ago that is more spacious but I’ve always preferred the charm of the original. Just a little place with good food, nice neighbors and of course – a friendly staff!

Taqueria Poblano is located at 2400-B Mount Vernon Ave. tucked in between the bright orange Yoga in Daily Life and the barber shop. What a great neighborhood! Get there early because they fill up fast and don’t take reservations- oh yeah and they’re closed on Tuesdays. Say hi to Jeff for me when you go and tell him to bring home some guacamole!
http://www.taqueriapoblano.com/




P.S. it's pronounced tawk-uh-rhea

No comments: