Wednesday, October 22, 2008

My Very Own Milkman

Growing up, I loved hearing stories about my parents' childhoods in their small town in Central Pennsylvania. It's the kind of place where everyone in town is known by name. The kind of place where after my grandfather passed away, people spoke of how they would miss seeing him sitting on his front porch, chatting with the local residents as they walked by-something he had been doing for over 50 years.

My mom used to tell me stories about walking to the corner store with her nickel a day to satisfy her sweet tooth, while my dad boasted about baseball victories celebrated with milkshakes at the same establishment. I'm not sure if there was a milkman in their town or not- but I always imagined it was the kind of place that would have one and I envied them. I had always wanted a milkman! In my young mind, they had the iconic American childhood and their hometown sounded like the perfect place for a kid to grow up.

Now that I am a little older, a recent college graduate, I recognize the value of having grown up in the Washington, DC area. The access to culture, entertainment, fine restaurants, travel and diversity is something my parents didn't have until they moved away. Still, the grass is always greener and I always yearned for a taste of that small town living--milkman and all--and today I found my chance!

My mom just told me about a neighbor who suggested South Mountain Creamery. This Maryland farm delivers fresh milk served in glass bottles, along with other homemade goodies such as apple cider, butters, jams, cheese, yogurt, eggs, breads and even homemade dinners- along with a variety of other local goods. Check out the website for more information on how you can get your own milkman--and a piece of small town charm in the most powerful city in the world. Enjoy!

http://www.southmountaincreamery.com/summary.php?go=products

No comments: